Tuesday, February 05, 2008

U2 in 3D

Surely you've already heard about this, but there's a movie going around Imax theaters that shows several performances by U2 in 3D. Given the various rhapsodies and odes that I've written in the past on U2 and their concerts, it's pretty much a no-brainer that I was going to be seeing this.

Based on our informal straw poll of an experience, both long-term and listen-on-the-radio fans will both enjoy seeing this (we were 2 hardcore, 1 casual: all 3 were impressed). Not only is the music pretty freakin' amazing (more on that in a moment), the up close shots of the band rocking out are fun no matter your level of love for them. The camera swoops in so close that there were moments it was almost uncomfortable - in their faces, is Bono going to touch MY face?, wow some of them are looking a wee bit older. My only complaints were as follows: it was too short, and it was frustrating to not be able to throw my arms up and dance along to the music. And oh, was the music great. I had to remind myself to keep my eyes open...I was enjoying it all so much (especially the slower numbers) I had to keep myself from snuggling down in the movie seat, closing my eyes, and just absorbing the music, which is pretty ridiculous considering the whole point is to WATCH the concert :).

So go see it! I promise you won't be disappointed.

No comments: