Monday, January 30, 2006

So wrong, yet so right

Earlier today at work, my cell phone rang. It was a "202" number (DC area code) but I didn't recognize it. Thinking perhaps it would be an annoying question from an interpreter that didn't understand the concept of calling my office phone during office hours, I let it go to voice mail.

A few minutes later, I checked my voice mail box. The message was from a woman who had apparently gotten my number from a mutual friend. She said that I had left her a message about job possibilities a few months ago, but that the message was hard to understand and she wasn't able to get more information about me until now. Also, she said she never received my resume by email.

Okay, now I have sort of applied around to change jobs, but have never called someone. Ever. I don't have any contacts to call, really. So I decided to call this nice woman back and let her know she has the wrong Rachel. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hi, this is Rachel. I received your message, but honestly I have no idea what this is about."
Her: "I am SO sorry - I got your number from Jane* but she must have given me the information for the wrong Rachel."
Me: "Oh, it's no problem. It was such a strange thing - but I have been sending out resumes, so I thought maybe it was for me. Out of curiosity, where do you work?"
Her: "At [insert name of really great development organization I totally want to work for here]."
Me: "Um, well...um, I would actually also like to do international development work, so would it be totally out of line for me to send you my resume as well?"
Her: "Sure, why not. It's been a few months anyway, so this new Rachel may already have another job."

FINALLY the Rachel mix-ups have happened in my favor. And I totally submitted my resume for someone else's job possibility. A little sketchy, I think, but if I get the job, it may be the just about the best story ever.

*Not actually her name. Don't really know anyone named Jane, so seemed a safe bet.

1 comment:

Ebony said...

Here's hoping a mix-up can lead to something more worthy of your greatness.