Friday, January 13, 2006

Ode to Old Movies I Used to Love*

I'm a little bit tired today. This may or may not be due to the fact that I stayed up past midnight watching "The Parent Trap" on the Hallmark channel. I didn't even have plans to watch any TV last night, but when channel scrolling I hit the Hayley Mills classic, and lo and behold, spent the night eating some chocolate that Gina gave me for Christmas and enjoying the nostalgia.

I used to love Disney movies like that. I really hadn't thought about them in ages, but watching the old school version of "The Parent Trap" got me to thinking about others I must have seen at least twenty times each in my childhood. Some favorites, in no particular order:

Swiss Family Robinson:
What girl wouldn't want to race a zebra or live in the coolest treehouse EVER?

Pete's Dragon:
Not only is there a cool cartoon dragon that doesn't really talk but is quite funny, it also has Helen Reddy singing "I'll Be Your Candle on the Water." Aww.

Babes in Toyland:
It's unclear to me how this movie and the many very different story versions are related to each other, but it's still fun.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People:
First learned what a banshee was from this movie. About scared the pee out of me when I was six. I'm sure it's not scary at all though. Now, anyway. It also apparently starred Sean Connery. Who knew?

Pollyanna:
Maybe I just really wanted to be Hayley Mills. I thought the cake at the fair looked SO tasty. Yum. The whole falling out of the tree was quite tragic, and in un-typical Disney fashion, it's not particularly well resolved at the end.

I think I'm going to hit the video store this weekend, and spend the rainy cold weather on the couch and finish my chocolate. Oh, and don't even get me started on the classic cartoons!

**A la Misty.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I remember watching Darby O'Gill and the Little People and not being able to sleep for weeks because I was scared of banshees!

Stereoette said...

Dude, i too was totally freaked out by the banshee... mainly b/c my father convinced me far before i saw the film that they existed...

and - i think i still want to be hayley mills, so, someday, if youre really bored, call me up and we can sing "lets get together" and pretend we look alike ;o)