Monday, August 15, 2005

When weddings are cool

This last weekend, T got hitched to her main man, and a few of us from work went down to watch adoringly. The two of them are so completely adorable we can hardly stand it, or as I think E put it, "I'm totally in love with them being in love." At least it has set the bar - if the person in question doesn't make me as adorable as T and her man, it's clearly not worth it. But back to the wedding:

I loved that their wedding was so completely about them and the things they like, as opposed to just doing the things they think are supposed to happen at weddings. T walked down the aisle to a bagpiper, the solo was a beautiful acoustic rendition of "Be Thou My Vision" (which totally made me tear up), there was no clear color scheme (T had earlier remarked "My mom keeps asking me about my colors...and I'm pretty sure I don't have colors. This is stressin' me out!"), and the whole ceremony was great. We unfortunately arrived a wee bit on the late side due to a lack of communication about the location of the directions to the church, coupled with an unwise decision to follow people that were obviously going to the same wedding (but had even less of an idea how to get there). The topper of the ceremony was the truly over-the-top, open mouth, not-even-close-to-church-tongue first kiss. My friends are so cool.

And their friends were cool too. The theme of the groom's men was abundant facial hair...full beards to be exact. One guest was sporting a real-live mohawk, and not a little one, but one that stood a good foot off of his head. It was impressive to say the least. And he was break-dancing at the reception. The wedding party entered in to a Pixies song and the first dance was I think by Wilco, but frankly I'm not hip enough to actually know it (but I intend to ask her, because it was a good song!). We danced the night away to such classics as "Hot Steppa," "Gettin' Jiggy With It," and "The Twist." The night finished off with a closing dance to Prince's "Purple Rain." Well, the reception closed, and then we headed back to the hotel to work on our party favors. Which were, in fact, bottles of cheap Trader Joe's wine. Best. Wedding. Ever.

No comments: