I am still coming to grips with the idea that I might actually be an adult. That may sound a little strange, but considering there are many days when I feel like have all the social wherewithal and self-confidence of a thirteen-year old, it's not really all that bizarre. So I started thinking, what are the milestones, what really makes me a grown-up?
1) The ability to walk in high heels: Check (most of the time...). I've been pretty good with the heels since high school though, chalk it up to many years of ballet lessons. Although this morning I came very close to falling down the servant quarter-like staircase at work because I lost my balance and my hands were full.
2) Drinking coffee: Check. I probably drink more than is good for me actually. And I'm talking about real coffee here--I get up every day and grind it and brew it myself, I don't go to Starbucks and get some icky sweet creation that is more milk than coffee.
3) The ability to hear someone describe me as a "woman" without making a face: Um, no. I can't do it yet.
4) Knowing what I want to do with my life: No idea at all.
5) The ability to take care of myself: Debatable. I'm not much of a cook, although I can feed myself. I try to be responsible and save money and things, but then I see something cute and splurge. I owe a ton of money in student loans that I have barely made a dent in paying off.
6) Having a husband or child: Hah! Like I'm even close.
I realize this list is not exhaustive. Suggestions for additional criteria?