Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Took a hike

For my three day weekend, I ended up playing a whole lot and not at all catching up on sleep. It was totally great, but I needed to rest up from all the fun, and sadly I still had to come to work, so I was a leeetle tired on Tuesday. And drugged on sinus meds, which made for a very excellent combination that led to several sort of nonsensical work documents. Which I revised today.

My two most obvious weekend hangover issues are sore muscles and a mosquito bite on my ear (<-right?! but it itches like CRAZY!). Kandi and I (at my suggestion, mind you) went out to Front Royal and Skyline Drive and were very pumped about hiking a bit. I have a park pass, so entrance was free, and I was so excited about the whole thing that I even ended up buying a guide book of various hikes for the many, many return trips we would have. Kandi packed us a great little lunch (I contributed like two bananas and some peaches...it's the thought that counts?), but we forgot one very, very crucial ingredient for a good hiking day.

Water.

Which is important always, but especially on May days that might be getting a bit hot and sticky and dehydration-inducing. But we were still optimistic about our abilities, and set off for what was supposed to be a 5-mile jaunt. Sadly we were not led very well by our lovely park ranger at the entrance, and missed one of our turns. This added some distance, which in my mind grew and grew in proportion to my thirstiness. At the time it felt as though we went roughly 12 miles out of our way, although in retrospect I think it probably added another mile at the absolute most. So I'm a little sore now, but not too terribly, and believe it or not, ready to try again soon-ish, before it gets unbearably hot. Besides, I still have like 40 more hikes to cross off in my little book!

No comments: