Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day

Now, let me be upfront. This is not my favorite "holiday." It's not that I am sad or lonely because of it, but mostly because I think Valentine's Day is silly.* Silly in an oversaturation of diamond commercials and 1-800-flowers ads, how does one express one's love in relation to chocolate sort of way. I've mentioned this before, so I won't belabor the point.

But on the other hand, I am all for the food holidays. Christmas and Thanksgiving are of course included in these, as is Halloween (candy!) and Easter (my dad makes this killer chicken with walnut sauce...). I suppose St. Patty's is included, if you consider green beer a food, and don't forget 4th of July, which usually involves some sort of barbecue with lots of sides, at least in Texas. All this is to say, I enjoy eating, and eating for an occasion - well, I do enjoy theme parties too. So Valentine's Day: everything is either pink or red (love that) and there are many scrumptious treats everywhere you turn. For instance, I am going to a little get-together tonight, where there will be fondue (mmm...melted cheese to dip things in...) and other treats. I made red cupcakes with a creamy, fluffy icing. I'm sure there are many people planning to go out to fantastic restaurants for a romantic evening. So despite all of the hype and ugly heart-shaped jewelry running around, Valentine's has my approval for celebration (as if it needed, right? But I give it nonetheless).

So bon appetit, mes amis, and have a delicious Valentine's Day!

*In the spirit of full disclosure, I should mention that I do not have a Valentine, so perhaps my views will change when one appears. Somehow I doubt it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't know you were such a foodie! wonder what would happen if the right man plied you with the right food...yeah, I know, then he'd just have to cook everyday!